Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Zac's Energy Usage


As a college student, I see it as a priority to conserve electricity anywhere I can. Saving money is always a good thing and conserving electricity can save a lot in the long run. Here is a list of each time I used electricity on April 17, 2010:

A)

1. Air Conditioner- on and off 24 hrs a day

2. Alarm clock- on 24 hrs a day

3. Television- on 5 hrs of day

4. Hot water heater- used for 10 min to take shower and brush teeth

5. Toaster- used in morning to toast a bagel

6. Lights- only on when home (give or take 10 hrs a day)

7. Stove- used for 20 min to cook a chicken dinner

8. Computer- used 7 hrs a day

B) I live in the College Club Apartments so I do not have access to a meter in order to check my usage.

C) The power company in my area is the Lee County Electric Company (LCEC) and responsible for all of Lee County. Their electricity is generated at a power station by electromechanical generators, primarily driven by heat engines fueled by chemical combustion or nuclear fission but also by other means such as the kinetic energy of flowing water and wind.

D) My Mileage on April 19, 2010:

· College Club to FGCU (12:30pm) 1.8 miles

· FGCU to College Club (2:00 pm) 1.8 miles

· College Club to San Carlos Park (4:30 pm) 2.8 miles

· San Carlos Park to College Club (6:45 pm) 2.8 miles

· College Club to Coconut Point Mall (8:00 pm) 5.1 miles

· Coconut Point Mall to College Club (10:00 pm) 5.1 miles_

Total mileage: 19.4 miles

During each car ride, I did not car pool and was the only person in the car.

E) I was able to compute my gas mileage recently and I determined that my 2007 Jetta gets roughly 27 miles per gallon. In the past year I have traveled 12,569 miles.

F) Annually, my 2007 Jetta emits 8.5 tons of CO2 which is 0.02 tons per day.

G) Reflecting on my energy usage, I can say that I do not make sustainable choices for the better of the environment. The choices I make reflect more on the price of using each energy or fuel source.

No comments:

Post a Comment