Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sense of Place Interview

I was able to interview my grandmother in Ohio over the phone and the first question I asked her was “What is sustainability?”. I began with this question before I spoke about it to see how much she knew on her own of the subject. She surprised me by saying that “Sustainability is saving natural resources”. I was proud of her for knowing that but I still went on to describe more about it and what I have learned in school. I also asked her about her sense of place as a child and how she grew up. I sort of could guess what she would say because she has lived it the same house since she was a child and there really has not been much change to her town other than a few new houses here and there. She did however say that she spent much of her time outdoors and with her brothers and sisters and she was slightly upset that kids these days spend all their time playing “gosh darn video games”. I also told her what we have been doing in University Colloquium and all the activities and field trips we have been on and she seemed quite interested. She was just happy that I was having fun while learning and wasn’t inside in front of the TV. I’m glad I got to talk to her and get her perspective on sustainability and the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment