Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Journal 8- Food Intake/ Packaging


IDS 3920 University Colloquium DAVIS

I was able to use the Diet Analysis Plus Program to track everything that I eat in a day. The program is great as it recognizes every brand of food and how many calories are in each serving. Here are the results from one day of eating:My Meals

Breakfast

Reduced Fat Milk, 2%

8 fl. oz.
122 kCal


KELLOGG'S SPECIAL K RED BERRIES

2 c.
229 kCal

Lunch

LEAN POCKETS Glazed Chicken Supreme Stuffed Sandwiches, Frozen

1 svg.
233 kCal


POWERADE, Lemon Lime Flavor

3 svg.
234 kCal


Chicken Nuggets, Frozen, Cooked

100 g
296 kCal

Dinner

COKE Diet Cola Soda

8 fl. oz.
1 kCal


Beef Chuck, Arm Pot Roast, Prime, Separable Lean, 1/2'' Fat, Raw

8 oz.
349 kCal

Snack

SUNSHINE CHEEZ-IT Parmesan & Garlic Snack Crackers

26 item
150 kCal


BREYERS All Natural Light French Vanilla Ice Cream

1 c.
235 kCal











Total: 1845 k Cal

During this day, I was actually able to consume less than the average daily caloric intake. Even so, there is still much energy and water used to produce these items and that energy will consequently contribute to our global warming efforts. When it comes to other items I purchase in a day, I can honestly say that I do not make sustainable choices when shopping. When grocery shopping, I use plastic bags which are not biodegradable and are harmful to the environment. More so, I do not recycle the bags I use. Every product I purchase comes either in a cardboard box with Styrofoam or in something plastic. However, avoiding the packaging of these items is virtually unavoidable. Also, not only am I contributing to polluting the Earth, but the manufacturers producing the items are doing so as well. Their energy used is not sustainable to the environment and the gasses produced in their factories are causing global warming.

No comments:

Post a Comment