Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 8, 2010

Journal 7- Estero Bay Historic Cottage and Matanzas Pass Preserve - Conservation 20/20


Our trip to the Matanzas Pass Preserve taught me a lot about that area and the inhabitants of Estero. The lady we spoke with was very insightful and was quite familiar with the subject. She has been through it all and her first hand experiences were remarkable. The boardwalk was interesting as it was completely made of recycled materials. I learned much about the history of commercial fishing in the area and how it was banned put several people out of business. The Conservation 20/20 program, which was created by a group of concerned citizens, noticed that the rate of development in Lee County had increased substantially and time was running short in order to preserve the undeveloped natural areas. Their main goal, as listed on their website, is as follows:
• Protect and preserve natural wildlife habitat
• Protect and preserve water quality and supply
• Protect developed lands from flooding
• Provide resource-based recreation
I have never heard of this program before but after seeing what they are doing, I am sorry I was never aware. They deserve much credit for what they are doing for conservation and the sacrifices they are making to improve and sustain the land. Although it is a great cause, I do not believe I would visit a place like Matanzas on my own. That is why our class is so important because it makes us aware. I do not know specifically what other programs are out there but I am sure there are people passionate about preserving natural wildlife all over the world. I am fore using tax dollars to preserve the land as it is an important part of our natural world and there is not enough people willing to shell out their own money willingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment